You did it! You made it past the midway point of the semester. Are you breathing a sigh of relief or are you so overwhelmed that you don’t know which way is up? I’d love to believe the latter is not the case; however, that is not exactly the reality of being a college student these days. By this point in the year, you have probably become involved in multiple student organizations, and are trying to balance jobs, internships, and co-ops.
But here is the thing: you will not be successful with any of what I mentioned if you do not take some time each day for yourself. If you tend to write everything in a planner, make sure you schedule at least 30 minutes each day for your enjoyment. Or if you subscribe to a “go with the flow” attitude, take a step away from the craziness when you’re feeling sluggish, overwhelmed, etc. Go grab your favorite flavored beverage at Starbucks, enjoy a meal with friends, cook something that reminds you of home (that always makes me feel better!) – basically just do something every day that you enjoy!
As Halloween is on its way, let’s be honest, there are some pretty delicious candies lining store shelves right now:
- Take a break with a Kit-Kit.
- Bring some Smarties to your next study session.
- Have a few laughs with friends with some Laffy Taffy.
- Enjoy some Starburst for a burst of energy.
- “Satisfy your hunger” with a Snickers bar.
- Or never go wrong by indulging in a Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup (my favorite!).
Whatever your choose, make sure it is enjoyable for you. A 30 minutes break or a small Halloween candy indulgence may sound inconsequential, but believe me, it goes a long way! In the spirit of Halloween, here is a recipe that you can make in your residence hall, apartment, or office. All you need is a ceramic mug and a microwave! Enjoy!
Single Serving Peanut Butter Cup Cookie
What you’ll need:
1 tbsp. butter
1 tbsp. sugar
1 tbsp. brown sugar
3 drops vanilla extract
A small pinch of salt
1 egg yolk
Slightly less than ¼ cup flour
1 Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup, chopped
- Melt the butter in the microwave
- Add sugar, brown sugar, vanilla, and salt. Stir to combine
- Add the egg yolk and stir
- Add flour and stir
- Add chopped Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup
- Cook in the microwave for 40-60 seconds