I know I am not the only one who feels a little down about the unpredictable New England weather we have all been experiencing. Just when the temperatures rise slightly above freezing for a day or two, we are brought right back to snow, wind, and bitter cold. How are we supposed to stay motivated? Here are a few of my favorite tips:
1. Keep your goals in sight
Goal setting is by no means a new phenomenon. We are well aware of the importance of setting goals; however, if we lose sight of our goals, we can become less motivated. Keep a checklist of both your long- and short-term goals to track your progress and motivate yourself to accomplish everything on your list.
2. Eliminate distractions
There are distractions all around us! Facebook, twitter, music, television, friends…these can all be distractions. And just because something may interrupt your work, does not mean it does the same to others. First, determine what you feel are your distractions, and then find a space that can be your distraction-free zone. This space will help motivate you to tackle that to do list, and don’t worry…those distractions will be waiting for you!
3. Reward yourself
What’s the point of attaining your goals if there is no reward at the end? Think of something that is really worth working towards—a treat from the coffee shop, that shirt you have wanted to buy, the class at the gym you’ve been dying to try, a nap — to help you to stay motivated.
One of my tips? Try this delicious Mint Chocolate Chip Mug Cake as a reward! In fact, you can find the recipe below!
4. Give yourself breaks!
Taking a break every now and then does not make you lazy or less of a hard worker. If you are burning yourself out, you are certainly not going to stay motivated, at least not for long. Take time to have dinner with friends, go to the gym, take a walk around the city, etc. This can help both motivate and rejuvenate you!
Spring will come…it always does. But for now, let’s help each other to stay motivated!
Mint Chocolate Chip Mug Cake
What you’ll need:
For the cake
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 mint chocolate squares, chopped
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
For the whipped cream
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 mint chocolate square, for garnish
- Combine all cake ingredients in a large coffee mug. Whisk well with a fork until smooth. Microwave on high for 1½–3 minutes. (Time depends on microwave; ours took 1½ minutes.)
- Add heavy cream to the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment and whip on medium-high speed until almost stiff. Add sugar and beat until heavy cream forms stiff peaks.
- Top Mug Cake with whipped cream and another chocolate square, if desired.